Monday, August 29, 2011

Katrina - Six Years Gone


A bit of the Georgia Satellites from 2005 and a blog I wrote back in 2006:


It's been forever and a day since I felt like this

want a fifth of wild turkey and one little kiss

and I don't miss that girl

if I did I wouldn't let it show

I might go to the moon

might wind up dead

wake up in morning in a strangers bed

well I'm not concerned with any of that no more




----------------------------------

After landfall, I watched the levees break, and I kept watching as the news channels broadcast hours and hours and scene after scene of destruction and rescue and despair, and finally, as I watched the dissolution of an entire city, I watched myself sink into a kind of walking daze of depression where I shielded myself from the truth that this could happen in a city in the United States of America.


Things are not back to normal by any definition of the word, no matter how liberally that word is used in New Orleans. It will never be the same.


But one thing about New Orleans is that it will carry on, the spirit will prevail.


--------------------------------------------


Six Years Gone

water through my hands



No comments: